Re: Seizure

Phil Semanchuk (semanchuk~pj@glaxo.com)
Fri, 22 Mar 96 22:58:01 -0500

[This message is converted from WPS-PLUS to ASCII]

> Whereas the original posting spoke about 9000
> seedlings, the issue seems now is about ADULT, WILD
> COLLECTED plants

To the untrained eye, a dormant adult dionaea might look like a
'seedling' (I think someone else already mentioned this). In
addition, I doubt the author of the words expected them to be
scrutinized to the degree that we have done. Also, the original
posting made no attempt to say whether or not the plants were
wild collected. It really wasn't that far off!

> this also shows the danger of 'preliminary postings'
> without full details. Especially in sensitive cases
> like CITES, don't post any 'hear say'.

The original posting was from the CITES-L mailing list, was it
not? I wouldn't call that hearsay. What the recent spate of mail
on this subject showed me is the danger of getting bent out of
shape over half-guessed facts. Please let's not do it again, eh?
:)

My 2 cents!

Happy CPing to all,
Phil

PS - For the benefit of those who don't know some of the more
colorful expressions in American/English (since this has come up
before):

"bent out of shape" = angry, emotional
"hearsay" = second or third or fourth-hand information
"my two cents" = my opinion (as opposed to "my ardent belief")

and...
"bought the farm" = died (as in, "I fed my VFT a Big Mac, and it
bought the farm.")