Re: Benomyl

John Walker (jorwa@ix.netcom.com)
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 14:33:47 -0800

At 12:30 PM 3/19/96 -0800, you wrote:

> Ok all you Chemistry majors out there. Can anyone tell me the exact
> active ingredient(s) in benomyl. I am having a mildew/grey mold
> problem on some S. purpurea's and am having a hard time finding
> Benomyl/Benlate.

> Thanks
> Rick
Rick,

One source of Benomyl is Peter Pauls Nursuries. I know...I know.... this
organization is considered to be of ill repute by most of us on the list
(myself included) but I do know for a fact that they carry this product. I
bought a bottle of Benomyl and their book and I will probably never need to
do business with them again. The cost was $6.50 and they have a web page.

Toby posted recently that he would not use Benomyl. I am not saying he is
wrong. I use it because it is the only product I have ever seen advertised
for use specifically on CP's. I have used it on VFT's, Drosera (dries up
the musciledge), Ping's, and a N. Madagascarienses with no real ill effects.
This is not to say that I recommend Benomyl in any way! I am only telling
of my own experience. It seems to control damp off fairly well but has had
no effect on what I think others have called crown rot on Mexican Ping's. I
lost three in the last two weeks:( (sorry Andrew). My P. Morensis is the
only one to survive so far and it is even flowering for the first time:)

If anyone knows of a better fungicide let us all know!

Just my $0.02

John Walker