Re: In Vitro - sterilization

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 17 Mar 1996 22:27:50 GMT

hansmh@sn.no (Hans Martin Hanslin) writes:

> In his interesting (and inspiring - Thank you!) "Slide Show" Rick Walker
> only mention the use of pressure cookers for sterilizing growth media.
>
> Are there no other ways to do this? I think of microwave or simple ovens
> set at temperatures of 250-300 C for a prolonged time. Do any of you have
> any more information on what method to use?
> In his references there is a article on the use of microwave, though,....
>
> If this issue has been discussed before, I am sorry for bringing this up
> again. I have not followed these threads on TC(etc...)until recently.

Microwaves are useful for sterilizing water, glassware (remember to
include some water - these things don't like running dry,) paper,
cotton wool, etc.
I would recommend not sterilizing agar-based media in the microwave -
it pops a lot and blasts agar all over the microwave (you'll spend
a fun afternoon peeling huge sheets off the walls and roof of the
thing, and it can clog the ventilation vents too.) It also
denatures vitamins pretty effectively.
You can sterilize liquid media (MS, coconut supernatant, whatever,)
effectively in the microwave, and these can work pretty well with
paper bridges/rafts, but there's no substitute for a pressure
cooker/autoclave for solider stuff.
Given the denaturing problems of vitamins (not to mention sucrose
heat degradation,) it's probably worth investing in some micropore
filters to sterilise these, which can be added when the agar has
cooled, just before the sol state. If you're using a liquid medium,
then perhaps just filter it all. I haven't played with these yet,
but have some on order.

Hope this helps,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk