Re: Transporting CP's from US to Canada

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 10 Mar 1996 18:48:35 +0000

On 9 Mar 96 at 10:23, Chris Teichreb wrote:

> I had a conversation with a fellow CPer about shipping CP's from
> the US to Canada. The CP in question is D.capensis, not on the CITES
> list. I imagine there are still regulations about sending these plants
> from the US to Canada, but I'm not sure what...

I can't help wondering why anyone would bother shipping plants of
Drosera capensis, unless it's a particularly interesting clone or
something.

Why not just send the seed then the recipient can be the proud owner
of thousands of the things within a few weeks?

I'm not surprised that D. capensis isn't listed in CITES :-)
Of course it's quite possible that it could be endangered in habitat,
but it certainly isn't endangered in our collections. Could this
be why a number of posts on the Web CP trading post run along the
lines of "Want <something really nice>, have D. capensis for
exchange"?

Sorry I don't know the regulations in question - I imagine that plant
health requirements will have to be met. Things are just a lot easier
with seed - in general CITES seems to specify that non-wild-collected
seed of Appendix I species be treated as Appendix II (i.e. can be
exported provided you get a permit), while seed of Appendix II
species isn't regulated at all (this applied to the Darlingtonia
californica seed I sent out last year).

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)