Re: VFT dormancy

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 23:01:49 +0000

On 6 Mar 96 at 0:25, Paul Seymour wrote:

> What is considered a suitable temperature range to trigger dormancy in
> VFT's? For the last 3 years I have left my plants outside during winter
> (Brisbane - Daytime:20-25C, Night:7-15C). I assumed they were going
> dormant - they stopped growing at least. Should I consider unpotting and
> placing them in the fridge as suggested?

Those temperatures sound typical of a British Summer - perhaps your
VFTs stop growing because of the shorter daylight hours, as I'm sure
they'd grow in these temperatures if they occurred in Summer rather
than Winter. Most people would think these temperatures high for
Winter, but personally I don't think I'd go to the trouble of
refrigerating the plants unless you think they aren't growing
properly.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)