Re: an ideal world

John Walker (jorwa@ix.netcom.com)
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 17:24:56 -0800

At 07:49 AM 3/8/96 -0800, you wrote:

>> And as far as what we do not being real conservation. How does
>> what we do differ from what a zoo does. It wasn't all that long ago when
>> the animals were kept in cages. The classical definition of cages, not
>> the "microhabitat" cage that mimics nothing in particular but looks good
>> to the fee paying public and perhaps fools the animals. Granted we all
>
>Conservation lies not in the zoos, but in how the zoos are managed.
I'm glad you cleared this up (??)

>> I agree that we need to tie ourselves in more closely with
>> cooperative organizations that ACTUALLY WANT AND WOULD APPRECIATE our
>> help, we might buy up bits and pieces of those places doomed to the
>> axe
>

>This sounds like a demand.
Using words like agree, cooperative, appreciate, help, and might do not
sound like a demand. More like a suggestion.

>Rare plants cannot withstand the pressure of a lot of study.
*********************************************************************>
This *may* be true (??), but along with study often comes knowledge. This
knowledge *may* be exactly what is needed to help a rare sp. to skirt
extinction and continue on. Or not. This is not something that I am any
kind of expert on. It just seems to me that continued study and increasing
knowledge are a good thing. Not of course if you make extinct the the plant
you are studying. Can you tell us of a plant that that was not able to
withstand only the pressure of study?

On a seperate note: I will not speak for everyone, but I feel the reason
that some of us in the group would like access to the detailed plant mapping
information is because we don't want to think of ourselves as being on the
outside looking in. We would like to feel that we are as deserving,
interested, and ethical as anyone else that will have access to this
information. It almost sounds like the map makers want any and all
information that I have to be shared with them but I get the feeling that
when I get around to requesting some information I'm going to be met with
the cold shoulder. After all, I'm not a scientist, just a person that is
very interested in CP. And if I am really honest with myself, this is all
probably a moot point. I can't recall ever seeing a CP in the Arizona
deserts so I don't have any info to share, and I don't know that I ever
really would get around to requesting site information. It's just that I
would like to think that if I did, I would be considered worthy. Good luck
in the mapping venture however it turns out! :}

John Walker