Re: Collection Protection

John Walker (jorwa@ix.netcom.com)
Fri, 8 Mar 1996 11:56:40 -0800

At 12:44 PM 3/7/96 -0800, you wrote:
>It seems to me that if you are really concerned about the integrity of
>your CP collection in the event of unforseen extended neglect, then you
>should be growing the CPs in a habitat where neglect will not be a
>short-term problem. In effect, CPs that like shady cool habitats should
>be put into such a habitat, CPs that like it wet and sunny should be
>grown in those conditions, etc.
>We should not be growing CPs on a windowsill or in a greenhouse that
>needs lots of supplementary management to maintain the collection. Find a
>place on your property ( or buy a suitable piece of property) that has
>the appropriate conditions and establish your CP collection there.

Trying to find a cool, shady, or wet location in the Arizona desert where I
live is not easy. I have tried to adapt VFT's to an hour or two of full sun
only to have them die, sometimes in a matter of hours. I'm now growing some
mexican ping's and I wonder if I might have more sucess growing these
outdoors. What is the natural habitat of these plants? If they grow in hot
arid climates I might be in luck. If they grow in cooler damp areas of
mexico I'm probably out of luck. Any ideas?