Plant mapping

Fernando Rivadavia Lopes (ferndriv@usp.br)
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 22:03:33 -0300 (GRNLNDST)

Rick,

> For your extensive and ongoing field work, I think you should seriously
> consider getting a hand-held GPS receiver.
>
> These have now gotten down below $300 USD in price and will give you a
> Lat/Long fix within about 100 meters. This allows precise renavigation
> to the site, and provides data that can be precisely overlayed on topo
> maps or satellite images. In most industrialized countries, differential
> GPS is available with resolution to 1m or so.

I had no idea the price had gone down that much nor that they were
so precise!! Though I'm sorry to tell you all that in less than a month
I'll be moving to Japan for 2 years, where I will work with Drosera +
Genlisea phylogeny based on DNA sequencing. Thus, after 6 wonderful
years of CP hunting in Brazil, I'll have to interrupt my CP trips for
who knows how long ( 8*( ). A GPS would really come handy though when
I begin exploring the Brazilian outback again, so this is definitely
something I'll keep an eye out for in Japan.

> The last integrated circuit technical conference I attended had a paper
> describing a chip for a *wrist-watch* GPS receiver!

This would be really fantastic! Maybe I should wait a few years
before buying a GPS, since it looks like I won't be having much of a
chance to botanize again in the near future. {:-( !!!!

I think Richard wrote:

> Topographic maps exists for many places and locations can be given in
> UTM grid coordinates or lat/lon. With a target precision of perhaps
> 200m you do not even need to bother what geoid your grid is based on.
> (as long as it is not something very exotic).

HA! Sorry, but I live in Brazil, not the USA! I've tried to find
good maps of some of the places I intend to go to, but the information is
too unorganized and complicated to find, not to mention far less precise
than what you could get in the USA. I've lost many hours searching
through piles and piles of maps, even with the help of friends. Wasted
hours....

Fernando Rivadavia

Sao Paulo, BRAZIL