Re: Drosera gemmae

Phil (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 5 Mar 1996 00:07:10 GMT

In your message dated Sunday 3, March 1996 you wrote :
> Does anyone out there have any experiance of storage of gemmae from
> drosera?
> i am interested to know if they can be stored as seed is stored, and
> if so in the green or brown state.
> thanks in advance
> dave

Gemmae can conveniently be split into two types.

Large fat gemmae. These cannot be stored and will start to grow even if
kept at temperatures close to freezing.

Thin fishscale-like gemmae. These can be stored in a fridge at around 5C
for at least several months, if wrapped in damp paper tissue and stored in
a plastic bag. Store as many as you can as casualty rates can be high
(higher the longer you keep them). I have kept gemmae of D.x Lake Badgerup
for 5 months this way with around 70% losses.

All gemmae will perish is kept at below freezing temperatures for even very
short periods of time.

--
Phil Wilson
(cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)