Re: That 'ole water chestnut

Carl Strohmenger (cstrohme@com1.med.usf.edu)
Mon, 4 Mar 1996 15:42:25 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 4 Mar 1996, Richard Marsden wrote:

> before, but I have water trouble:
>
> I'm collecting rainwater, but I'm barely getting enough (really need a
> bit more than I'm collecting),
[stuff deleted]
> An RO unit is too expensive.

Last December, I bought myself a counter-top distiller from Sears. It is
a Kenmore brand and prepares 1 gallon of distilled water from tap water
in about 6 hours. I set it going in the morning before I leave for work
and again in the evening before going to bed, so I am making about 2
gallons per day which is more than I need for my collection of chemically
sensitive CPs. The distiller cost about US $120 and the claimed cost is
about $.28 per gallon at average US electricity prices. It has to be
de-scaled every 100 gallons MOL and there is an active carbon filter
element that has not needed replacing yet (after 150 gallons). The
descaler is granular sulfamic acid at about $.50 per treatment. The
filters are inexpensive as well. So far, I have been satisfied with the unit.

- Carl