Re: VFT Smuggler

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 01 Mar 1996 10:30:46 GMT

John Phillips writes:

> >I didn't mean to start an argument when I forwarded the release about the
> >VFT smuggler--it was just for everyone's information. I remind you all
> I apologize if my words came out sounding like a flame. I was just
> wondering out loud, or rather on the net ;-). I did miss the point, that the
> arrest was for smuggling, and the charges had nothing to do with whether the
> plants were wild or cultured.
> Again my apologies, and thanks for the news bulletin,

I'll second that - I have a bee in my bonnet about "the authorities"
ATM (this !"$%^& oilslick virtually on my doorstep mostly,) so sorry
if I sounded fiercer than I intended.

and Phil Semanchuk writes:
> I have it on good authority that the plants are (unfortunately)
> wild collected. I'm sorry but I can't reveal my source. I hope

Fair enough. I'm surprised, but if so then, to my mind, he deserves
everything he gets.
> first-time offender he is facing fines of $100-500 per plant (=
> .9 to 4.5 million dollars) under North Carolina law not to
> mention any other laws he may have broken.

Does anyone know how rigorously these penalties are enforced? I
have a sneaking suspicion that he'll end up with a lot less than
this, which makes me wonder just what the point of maximum penalties
that are never enforced... (but perhaps they have been? I am just
thinking of other similar potential penalties in UK law that have
never actually been imposed.)

Happy growing,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk