Re: [Help] Germinating seeds of Sarracenia purpurea hybrids

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 25 Feb 1996 13:41:22 GMT

> From: Vinhdam <vinhdam@nando.net>

> I obtain the seeds from Thompson & Morgan, a general mail-order seeds =
> company. I exactly follow the instruction as indicated on the seed =
> packet, but somehow, I still fail to sprout any seed during my last four =
> attempts. The instruction is very simple: "Sow in trays, pots, etc of =
> good seed compost in a propagator or warm place to maintain an optimum =
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
here's the problem I think. As Bob pointed out, stratification is
advisable, but also a suitable compost. You'd do better with 2:1
moss peat:sand, which will better recreate natural conditions.
Regular seed compost is loaded with nutrients which Sarras don't
want and can't cope with.

> temperatrue of 75-80F (25-27C) - Surface sow on a peaty compost and keep =
> compost slightly moist. - Sow at any time of year. - Germination usually =
Stand the pots in an inch or two of rainwater so that they are quite
a bit more than slightly moist would be better advice.

Happy growing,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk
Killay, SWANSEA SA2 7BU, WALES :http://www.angel.co.uk/flytrap/index.htm