Re: Sand for CPs

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 10 Feb 1996 12:18:54 GMT

L235@aol.com (Jay Lechtman) writes:

> Can I just buy all-purpose (read ice control and concrete) sand? Should I be
> pickier? Is there a particular type or brand of sand (here in the eastern
> U.S.) that I should be looking for?

There is a risk that this kind of sand could contain salt if it's been
dredged from a beach, or other nasties. Your best bet is to wash it
thoroughly by half filling a large bucket, and pushing the end of a
hose to the bottom. Switch the hose on, and agitate every 5 minutes
or so with a stick, while the water overflows through the sand. 1/4 -
1/2 hour ought to be more than enough of this, and you can water your
lawn while you do it :) This should get rid of any water-soluble
pollutants.
Remember, if you use tapwater for this, that you'll need to leave it
for a day or two for the chlorine to evaporate.

Happy growing,

Peter

snail:Peter Cole,17 Wimmerfield Cr. :mailto:carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk
Killay, SWANSEA SA2 7BU, WALES :http://www.angel.co.uk/flytrap/index.htm