Re: import permit for Canada

Harold Slater (hslater@io.org)
Sun, 18 Feb 1996 20:41:13 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 18 Feb 1996 teichrch@Meena.CC.URegina.CA wrote:

> big help for a newbie. This message is regarding obtaining a permit for
> importing CP into Canada. First of all, do you need one if material is
> being brought in from North America (ie: from the United States to
> Canada) and if so, does anyone have the address in Canada I can write to
> so that I can obtain this permit?

You no longer require a permit to import most plants (that includes CPs)
from the U.S.

however............

> I know some CPs are not protected under CITES regulations but I did
> notice that several of the popular ones are under Appendix II.

You still need to obtain a CITES permit from the U.S. for appendix II
species (most CPs)

> On a final note, how do companies, such as Peter Paul's nurseries
> export CP's to countries like Canada without asking if you have a permit

No comment on that one. :)

Harold

Harold Slater * BOTANIKA * ..and there were things growing all
Toronto, Canada * Bromeliads * over the place... not just in som
hslater@io.org * Epiphytes * domed enclosure blasted some millions