RE: drosera root length and compost longevity

John Phillips (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Wed, 14 Feb 96 08:10:21 CST

In Message Wed, 14 Feb 1996 03:33:08 -0800,
"Morpeth, David" <drm@writtle.ac.uk> writes:

>Hi all,
>i have a query i would like to bounce off you all and ask for advice
>and tips on, especially as it will soon be potting on time and
>seedling weaning!
>the question is, what kind of depths do people find various drosera
>species grow to? a comprehensive list is not what i'm after, more a
>general view as to safe pot size! i.e do they mind shallow pots,
>allowing roots to grow back on themselves?
>on a similar vane, how long can one expect a standard 50/50 mix of
>peat and sand to last for drosera species? 1,2,3 years, a lifetime?
>the kinds i grow include pygmes, tuberous etc etc
>
>thanks in advance
>dave morpeth
I would also be interested to hear about people's experience with compost
longevity. I've been back in the hobby for about three years now, and I've
noticed my various compost mixes last varying amounts of time. In pots with
Cephalotus, terrestrial Utrics and Sarracenia, the peat moss has degraded
more quickly than in pots sown with Pings, VFTs and pygmy sundews. The peat
in the compost I've used for temperate and subtropical sundews seems to last
widely varying amounts of time.
Happy Valentines Day,
John Phillips Email: phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Information Services