Experience vs. Advice

L235@aol.com
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 11:13:23 -0500

On 8 Feb 96 at 13:05, L235@aol.com wrote:

> In CP Digest 614, Clarke Brunt writes:
> >The latter is certainly true - Summer leaves are hopeless
> >for leaf cuttings, while the Winter ones work quite well.
> =

> Is that necessarily so? I took summer leaves from my P. moranensis x eh=
lersai
> (?) in October and of the three that I tried, one sprouted 10 shoots

>I just posted about my one experience with Summer leaves. They
>rotted almost immediately, whereas the Winter ones did OK.
>Others have said they succeeded with the Summer ones. It just goes
>to show - don't take what anyone else says as certainty but have
>a go yourself and see if it works under your conditions.

I couldn't agree more, so this is probably more a question of semantics than
anything else. Not to flame, but when you write "Summer leaves are hopeless
for cuttings" it sounds not so much like "when I tried it it didn't work" as
dogma. "It will NEVER work." Perhaps if we are more careful to couch our
"advice" as experience-related only, poor schnooks like me won't feel like
we're upsetting the natural order of things when we do experiment <g>

Jay Lechtman
L235@aol.com