Sarracenia evolution

Randy Lamb (Rlamb@hypertech.yknet.yk.ca)
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 22:24:10 +0000

The evolution of Sarracenia and it close relatives has captured my
imagination on many occasions. There is some interesting papers out there
and several are listed in the back of Donald Schnell's CP of the US and
Canada book.

>From: lightAlan Bickell <bickell@idirect.com>
>Is anyone aware of any Phylogenetic work being done on the chromosomal
>relationship between Nepenthes and Sarracenia? I am trying to understand
>their evolutionary relationship(if there is one). The geographic
>distribution discussion was interesting.

There was one paper I remember reading last decade on Sarracenia and a
proposed evolutionary tree for the currently recognized species based on a
dozen or so characteristics ranging from pitcher shape, flower colour and
scent, height, growth habits,etc. There were some interesting phylogenic
diagrams too. I can't remember if there were chromosomal counts involved
though.

I need to sort through some dusty boxes in the storage room to give you the
author (was it Schnell again?), source and title. I'll check later this
week and let you know. (Jan, do you recall this one?)

Stay tuned for future details. Randy.