Aphids, cont (was Whitefly!)

Richard Marsden (redbaron@cix.compulink.co.uk)
Sun, 11 Feb 96 13:14 GMT

"whitefly" are infact aphids - probably greenfly. In fact, I've seen a
couple on my Sarracenia, and yes, I'll agree with the greenfly
diagnosis.

I dumped the drosera in water for a couple of days. These have now been taken
out, and I'm waiting a day or so to see if there's any activity.

I had to carry my sarracenia in the same box as the drosera (250 miles
by train - including the infamous Underground across London), so its not
that surprising that they have a small infestation. So far, I've been
picking them off by hand. I went to a garden centre this morning, and
about all they had was Pyretheum. None of the other insecticides had
their active ingredients listed! I thought there were laws about that
in the UK (there should be). Anyway I recognised pyretheum as being a
"natural" insecticide - so far I've only sprayed it on one pitcher (with
a nice family of green splodges ("kids") & aphids). Have people tried
pyretheum? Is it safe on drosera and sarracenia?

Thanks for the help so far, folks,

Richard