Re: uh oh....

Janice Ritter x5444 (ritter@floyd.HQ.ileaf.com)
Fri, 9 Feb 1996 15:04:01 -0500

Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 11:44:29 -0800
Originator: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>

On 7 Feb 96 at 7:37, Janice Ritter x5444 wrote:

> Hi guys - I brought a bunch of D. capensis and intermedia
> into work today. I live in Boston, and it was about 20 degrees
> outside when I drove to work, which took 20 minutes. The car
> was cold when I started.... All the leaves on the plants
> turned dark green and drooped, and they look like the cells
> bought the farm. :-(

Sounds like the leaves must have frozen. A bit surprising in the car
I'd have thought, but maybe while carrying them to and from it?
This is often a problem with people carrying flowering plants home
from shops around Christmas.

Well, the leaves did die, but the plants recovered already. :-)

I haven't heard the expression 'bought the farm' but I think I get
the idea. Our non-native-English speaking subscribers are probably
all puzzling about it.

Sorry guys - "bought the farm" is an idiomatic expression peculiar to
the northeastern part of the U.S., meaning "died"/"expired"/etc.
Here I was, trying to be clever and interesting in my writing, and
I just confused people. Sorry about that.

--
 Janice Ritter		    ritter@ileaf.com        Boston, MA
    and