Utric Traps - Reply

bertozzi.terry@wpo.pi.sa.gov.au
Fri, 09 Feb 1996 08:43:19 +0930

Loyd wrote:

>With terrestrial species I suppose it may be possible to
>grow them above a clear reservoir of water - just like that
>photo of G.hispidula on the front cover of one of last years
>CPN's. This way it may be possible to encourage the plant to
>grow into the water as thus be able to view the traps. Has
>anyone out there tried this?

I find that some of my plants like to grow into the water anyway (Is
this because I dont keep them wet enough?). I have found this to be the
case for U. dichotoma, U. livida and just recently U. reniformis. For
the later, the traps now extend about 6cm from the bottom of the pot an
are easily visible.

>What ever you decide to look at, a reasonable hand lens (or
>a microscope if you have access to one) will allow you to
>appreciate the traps even better.

If you have access to a microscope, I would strongly suggest that you
split open a trap or two and observe the glands on the inside. They are
absolutely fascinating!

Cheers
Terry