Re: Humidity

Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Thu, 25 Jan 1996 13:27:24 -0500 (EST)

Chris Creel wrote:

> I threw together a growing chamber last week out of PVC
> piping, Painter's Plastic (4 mil), and a door made out of Plexiglass.
> It is lighted by a sodium halide light.
> Here is the problem: I am getting killed on humidity! I did
> not think that keeping the humidity up in this thing was going to be a
> problem. Any ideas on what I can do to remedy this situation?

One solution is to put a shallow pan of water inside the enclosure.
Then, fold up an old sheet so that it is about twice the area
of the pan. Drape the sheet over the pan and push the middle
of it well into the water. The sheet will wick the water
throughout its area and provide a large surface for evaporation.
You'll need to fill the pan with water every so often. This
works for my enclosure, which isn't as "hermetic" as yours
seems to be.

Perry Malouf