Re: U. quelchii

CBelan9630@aol.com
Sat, 20 Jan 1996 13:55:02 -0500

In a message dated 96-01-20 09:37:30 EST, Isao writes:

>I don't find where you live.
>In the summer in Japan, it is very hot. Cp-growers in Japan don't
>always win good result in the growing of cool loving cp.
>Therefore, I don't find whether or not my experience is useful.

I live in Brookline, Mass, near Boston.

>I am growing U.quelchii in two ways.
>One:
>The Coca Cola refrigerator (It is placed in the supermarket.).
>I bought it which is secondhand. I put some electric products to the
>refrigerator.
>By it, A refrigerator is managed as follows.
>The fluorescence light lights up from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m..
>The temperature is kept by 25 degrees of centigrades from 7 a.m. until
>6 p.m.. Then, it is kept at 12 degrees of centigrades during night.
>I am not always being satisfied about the result.
>Because, the leaf is very soft and it is thin.

This is about how I am able to grow them from Oct-April. Other times of the
year it is pretty warm. My leaves are thin too. I think (my hypothesis)
since these plants grow at very high altitudes the UV radiation is
considerably higher than mine in the tank. I am wondering if supplying this
would make the plants more robust? Does anyone know if this has been tried.
I wonder if Nepenthes grow under lights might not benefit from this?