Re: CP: suggestions for a novice

Wayne Forrester (forrestr@mendel.Berkeley.EDU)
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 08:24:30 -0800 (PST)

Hi Sara,
I think I'm the one who took exception to the idea that
carnivorous plants would eliminate your fungus gnat population, if you're
refering to a discussion on the orchid newsgroup a few months ago. The
plants are pretty good at catching insects, but many are not caught. I've
been growing a modest number of cp for many years under lights and have a
small but continuous population of gnats living among the plants. On the
other hand, the plants are truly among the most amazing out there. Almost
any tropical cp would do well in a warm greenhouse. I think Pinguicula
moranensis, Drosera capensis, D. binata and many different varieties of
Nepenthes would do well. Lows in the 50's might be too cool for some of
the lowland Nepenthes. Species like N. ventricosa or N. khasiana would
probably do well, among others. My favorite source of plants is
California Carnivores. I don't have the address handy but you can find it
on the carnivorous plant web site if you have web access
http://www.hpl.hp.com/bot/cp_home . Hope this helps. If you have any
questions feel free to drop me a line.