Re: d. binata division

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 4 Dec 1995 21:00:33 +0000

On 3 Dec 95 at 14:21, Andy Falshaw wrote:

> Clarke Brunt said: <,find that D. binata dies down even in a
> greenhouse at 45F/7C. It must <just be intended to go dormant in
> Winter, and naturally spreads by <tough underground 'stolons'. i am
> looking after an overcrowded potfull of d.binata (T form I think - 4
> pointed) for a friend who's away. How do I best split the plant(s) up
> so's I get to keep some? Should I just break it up into bits or do
> the stolons need cutting carefully?

The one time I did this (maybe it will be due again next year), I
was far from careful. I don't think you have much choice but to pull,
tear, rip - the roots/stolons/whatever were very tough, and
completely tangled together. I just stuck each growing point in a new
pot, sold all but one of them, and waited until the pot was next
full. I guess this sort of thing is best done in Spring, just before
growth starts.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)