TNC at sand lakes

Kevin Snively (ksnive@premier1.net)
Tue, 21 Nov 1995 16:32:01 -0800 (PST)

>Date: Tue, 21 Nov 95 13:23:01 -0500
>From: Phil Semanchuk <semanchuk~pj@glaxo.com>

>> The nature conservancy owns it and they don't take
>> care of it.

>Kevin, have you contacted TNC about this?
(Snip)
>But since they are volunteer supported I wonder if
>sometimes what is deemed as mismanagement isn't just
>lack of (volunteer) muscle power at TNC.

Phil
The sight in question is at the Sand Lakes rec. area
on the Oregon coast. It was shown to me by David O'Hollaren
"dogplants@aol.com" about two summers ago now. David is
a member of ICPS and TNC who use to live in the Portland
area. I think the E-mail address is out of date also. At
the time he showed me the sight he told me he had already
presented TNC with a management plan for the sight which
involved only the removal of the non native species. He also
offered to recruit and manage the labor force. They ignored
him. It would have cost them nothing. David was going to
post something to the cp group here after his move to the
SF Bay area. I do not know, I have not heard from him since
the move. I am aware of other TNC success stories and it may
be that part of my resentment toward them is a lack of closure
on this issue, another part might be that it is the only Native
Darlingtonia bog I've been to. The sight in question is over
200 miles away from here.

krs