Re: Sarracenia Tissue Culture:

Andreas Wistuba (andreas.wistuba@rhein-neckar.de)
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 15:27:18 GMT

On Mon, 20 Nov 1995 03:56:45 -0800, you wrote:

> I recently bought a small pot with three Drosera Capenis plants. I
> bought it at a local plant store. Along side the drosera was two
> Sarracenia Flava'a (mislabelled "purple pitcher plants"). All these
> plants had signs on them stating that they were created by tissue
> culture and not taken from the wild. I thought I read a while back
> that nobody has been able to tissue culture Sarracenias. Was I
> mis-informed? Are companies actively tissue culturing S. flava? Or
> was this tissue-culture label on the pot simply a lie? If they are
> skilled enough to tissue culture S. flava how come they seem unable to
> properly identify it compared to S. purpurea?

I grow many Sarracenias in vitro. They are no big problem. Anybody
telling you that it's impossible to propagate thim in vitro tells you
pure nonsense...

Andreas

Andreas Wistuba; Mudauer Ring 227; 68259 Mannheim; Germany
Phone: +49-621-705471 / +49-621-7152027
Fax: +49-621-7152028
E-Mail: andreas.wistuba@rhein-neckar.de
WWW: http://www.rhein-neckar.de/~carnivor/index.html