Re: fungus on CP seeds

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 20:21:57 +0100

On 18 Oct 95 at 20:48, Hector Wong-Chan wrote:

> Just after claiming my happines with VFT & D.capensis seed germination, I
> have checked my stratified seeds of Darlingtonia californica, Sarracenia
> purpurea minor & leucophylla, and Dionaea muscipula.
>
> To my disgust, I checked my seeds and I found them covered with
> filamentous fungi, looking like bread mold. I have sown these seeds in
> damp milled dry sphagnum moss and placed them in the refrigerator in
> airtight containers.

I don't think that this sort of fungus growing on the surface of
seed pots is necessarily bad. Sometimes I get stuff apparently
growing on the soil surface, or other times on bits of seed coat,
but the seeds can still germinate well regardless. Don't give up
on the seeds just because of a bit of fungus.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)