Re: Intro and Nepenthes questio

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 16 Oct 95 19:19 EDT

> From: "Nick Plummer"
> <Nick_Plummer.HG#u#MAIL@MAILGW.SURG.MED.UMICH.EDU>
>

> Anyway, my Nepenthes alata arrived potted in regular houseplant
> potting soil. I repotted it in a mix of dried sphagnum and coarse fir
> bark. I keep it moist at all times, but the pot is not sitting in
> water. It receives direct sun until about 11:30 am and then diffused
> light throughout the afternoon. Humidity is about 50%
>

> perhaps the plant itself was a cutting from the middle of a vine), but
> it has since branched below the cut and is growing vigorously.
> However, the plant is not producing new pitchers, and the old pitchers
> seem to be slowly dying back.

What Barry said is very true... Also could be, has the plant has gotten
some fertilizer via the soil? This can (not always) keep the the plant
from producing pitchers. The lighting sounds just about perfect...
try giving the plant a higher humidity level though. Nepenthes tend to
need 70 - 80% humidity for good pitcher growth. Some Nepenthes can take
lower humidity levels but if your plant is already not pitchering it
may need to be pampered for a couple of months.

Dave Evans