Re: D.regia + Utric phylogeny

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 29 Sep 95 16:37 EDT

> From: Fernando Rivadavia Lopes <ferndriv@USP.BR>
>
> > "D. regia, known only from one montane locality near Worcester in the
> > Cape, also stands apart because of its robust rhizome, its large size
> > and undivided styles."
>
> I remember receiving seeds of D.regia from Eric Green who claimed
> they were from another mountain top, not the TYPE site. Didn't he ever
> publish this important anywhere? Is everyone aware of this?

So is D.regia from only from one site or or has this been confirmed?
What I mean is, is it know that D.regia grows at several sites, but
those in cultivation are all from the type site, or is only known to
occur at one site and so Eric Green has found a new one?

> > Michael

> Now that would be really interesting! I intend to do this with
> the Brazilian Drosera and maybe one day I'll get to the Genlisea and
> Utrics, but that's probably far off in the future.
>
> Fernando Rivadavia

>From speaking with Steven Williams, it seems to me that this is really
only good when comparing species that are closely related. He had men-
tioned that, from what his testing showed, Nepenthes are related to rhu-
barb.
Well as luck would have, the year I spoke with Dr. Williams my twenty-
something year old rhubarb flowered for the first time. The inflore
scence was similar, to my untrained eyes, to a male Nepenthes inflore
scence. The seed pods, however, looked like those of begonias, having
three compartments. I've not seen a Nepenthes seed pod in person and
so I don't know if they are alike. But could they be related? Or do
you start to get inconclusive/misleading data when comparing very dis-
similar plants' DNA?

Dave Evans