Re: VFT roots

John Walker (jorwa@ix.netcom.com)
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 09:11:58 -0700

On 9/26/95 Clarke wrote:

>I only suggested checking the roots - if they are absent or rotting,
>then the plant isn't going to do well, but the real question is why
>they have got like this! I didn't answer that one, other than to
>suggest that something was wrong with the soil or the water they
>had been given, and to repot in the 'correct' soil (whatever
>that is) and to give only distilled (or similar) water - I use
>our rainwater - I couldn't imagine having to buy or produce enough
>water for my plants' needs, and I haven't really got that many
>plants.
>
>I killed quite a few VFTs before learning from one of Slack's books
>how to grow CPs in general. The VFT roots would die, and the
>bulbous bit formed from leaf bases would just rot until none
>was left. Maybe nutritious or alkaline soil provokes this?
>All you can do is attempt to remove any dead or rotting bits,
>then replant. Covering the plant might help while it attempts to
>recover (just to reduce water loss through the leaves while there
>aren't many roots).
>
>--
>Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)

Thanks for the advice. I checked the two VFT's that appear to be having the
hardest time and I think there roots are O.K. Only two of the six roots per
plant had any "white" at the tips but the roots were not falling apart and
the "bulbs" were nice and firm. I'm going to change the soil anyway incase
it is infected with any little bugs.

John Walker
jorwa@ix.netcom.com