Re: VFT forms and Nep transformation

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 09:13:15 GMT

Fernando Rivadavia Lopes <ferndriv@usp.br> writes:

> Now that's a bummer! I'd heard that at least the VFT "dentata" I
> received came up true from seeds. Hey Gordon, ask Ivan about this for me.
> I think he was the one that told me this!

I am less sure about "dentate", "fused-tooth", etc than I am about
the red and green clones, but it's what I was told. But hey, give it
a go - I'd be more than happy to be wrong :)

> On another subject, on Friday I'm gonna have a lab activity at
> university where we'll be infecting plants with Agrobacterium rhizogenes
> to observe the production of roots. I was wondering if this bacteria is
> able to transform Nepenthes cells too and make them produce roots. This
> could be a good way to root the cuttings on the plants before you
> actually cut them off. ^^^^^^

Umm, I'm no microbiologist, but it begs the question - how do you
stop it infecting the whole plant and rooting wildly all over the
place?

-----------------------
and on an almost-related note:

> Hi all
> I currently have three VFTs that are about to flower (they are strong
> enough for me to let them), but they do not want to cooperate with
> each other and so won't flower at exactly the same time. I have yet to see
> my VFTs produce seed. How do I go about fertilizing them? Can I transfer
> pollen to the stigma on the same plant, or even the same flower?
>
> John

The plants are not dioecious, ie: they are capable of being selfed,
though they won't do it unaided. It's a whole lot easier to get
a couple/few different plants though so you can simply rub the
flowers together, rather than using a brush (which never seems to
work for me.) The stigmas and stamens ripen at different times,
(though I can't off-hand remember which order.) Just rub plenty of
flowers together every morning and you'll get a good crop - it's
pretty visible, because VFTs don't hide their seeds away in a seed
case.

Hope this helps,

and Eric Schlosser writes:
> 7 pink flower (very exceptional)

Wow! I hadn't come across this one - does anyone know any more?
(Like where to get one (G).)

Happy growing,

Peter