Re: Re: Re: Soil pH

Carl Mazur (CJMazur@freenet.hamilton.on.ca)
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 22:14:44 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 Aug 1995, dave evans wrote:

> > to recall that S. minor had two flowering periods even when I was in the
> > midwest, although I may be misremembering. I think transplanting may also
> > affect trap prod

Interesting, I've had S. purpurea purpurea bloom twice, although the
second flowers don't amount to much.

> B.T.W. it should be noted (I've never seen it myself) that Sarracenia
> are evergreen plants. None of them lose their leaves with fall. Sure
> most of the pitchers get beat by frost or rot but they don't drop the
> leaves until well into the next spring - An evergreen!

Its been noted that S purpurea is truely Evergreen. Its pitchers,
especially in the northern form, turn bright burgandy or coppery in the
fall and stay that way all winter, then in the spring, the green up
again, ready for another season. If you cut those pitchers off, it
really sets back the plant. Dieback is normal for all the other plants,
and infact, cutting off dead dried leaves will not harm other Sarrs. So
to make a long story short, I would have to say that at the least, all
sarrs are semi-green, however, purpurea is ever green!

Carl J. Mazur
CJMazur@freenet.hamilton.on.ca
Grimsby, Ontario Canada