Re. fertilizing nepenthes; droso. info.

Robert Allen (Robert.Allen@Eng.Sun.COM)
Wed, 9 Aug 1995 12:35:58 -0700

>>Topic No. 3
>>
>>Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 12:30:16 -0700
>>From: stevek@informix.com (Steven Klitzing)
>>To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
>>Cc: stevek@waipio.informix.com
>>Subject: Re: trapped pitchers, water quality
>>
>>Hi all:
>>
>>I have a question. Will Nepenthes send out more pitchers, of larger
>>size, if given a mild dose of superthrive and miracid every so often?
>>Say, about every two weeks? I'm getting tired of catching insects and
>>feeding the pitchers, and then smashing the insects when they don't
>>croak fast enough. I've even had cases where I'd chop the insect
>>in two, and the seeing half would still fight me by putting its legs
>>on the edge of the trap and resisting! Talk about die hard!

I and others use a dilute concentration of various
fertilizers on Nepenthes with great success during the
growing season. I use 1/4 strength Miracid solution
every two weeks or so (when I remember to) as I water
the Nepenthes (i.e. root feeding). The Nepenthes love it.
(Naturally there are the usual warnings of "If you do it
and your plant dies, don't blame me" :-)). Within a week
or two of starting such a regimen you should see lots of
new growth activity. Of course Nepenthes can still
photosynthesize: they don't need bugs to stay alive, but
it does help them grow robustly.

>>------------------------------
>>
>>Topic No. 11
>>
>>From: Manfred Buerzele <buerzele@hlhp1.physik.uni-ulm.de>
>>Subject: Strange behaviour of Drosophyllum lusitanicum
>>
>>Hi all,
>>

>>Now the strange thing: These little plants are flowering already!
>>Each of the two young plants shows a single yellow flower.
>>
>>Each book that I read about Drosophyllum states that they usually bloom
>>from the second year on.

I had a 2 cm Droso plant try to flower once. Such
flowering is often indicative of the plan undergoing
some type of stress, such as repotting, temp changes,
etc. I'd cut the scape off before it blooms so the
plant spends it's energy on growing rather than reproducing.

"Oh no, I'm stressed! Quick! Reproduce just in case
I don't make it!" :-)

Robert