Re: Introduction/ Peat Questions

Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 1 Aug 1995 20:18:52 +0100

On 31 Jul 95 at 14:39, Kathleen M. Heldreth - Biolog wrote:
> I have some questions about the appropriate peat moss to use as
> growing media for CP's. There are tons of peat products and grades
> available from the local nurseries. Will you help me sort them out?
>
> Adrian Slack wrote "The only peat suitable is granulated moss
> peat...Other types of peat are not suitable, especially sedge peat..."
> I have never heard anyone say MOSS PEAT, (does that have any
> significance, i.e., from spaghnum moss rather than sedge?). I've
> never heard of GRANULATED peat either. Does this mean long fibre, or
> what? The local nurserymen are as stumped as I am over what Adrian
> Slack meant.

Even over here in the UK (where Slack was writing) I don't seem to
come across the term 'granulated'. I don't know what other state the
peat would be in - sometimes it's in a compressed block, but surely
that's no harm - it's the same once broken up and wetted.

The words 'Moss Peat' nearly always appears on the bag though. The
sedge peat tends to be a much darker (black) product - I have heard
that this might even be alkaline.

Make sure that whatever you get is just peat, and not a premixed
potting soil which would include fertiliser and other ingredients.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)