Re: strange adelae behaviour

Peter Cole (carnivor@bunyip.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 25 Jun 1994 22:00:31 GMT

eheick@acs.bu.edu (Christoph) writes:
> I have been witnessing some pretty strange behavior from my D. adelae.
> When I first got it the flowers were white, the following year the
> flowers were red, and remained red for eight years and now the plants
> have white flowers again, actually it is more a cream color now. Has
> anyone else had this phenomeon happen to them? This really puts some
> serious doubt in my mind as to wheather the two are really distinct
> forms. Can someone tell me what is going on?

Hmm, weird I know. My D. rotundifolia did much the same a month
or two ago - it had been white flowering, all the specimens outdoors
remain white-flowering, but in one of my terrariums... they came
out pink.
I still can't quite figure it; must get the tray water analysed.

Seven years seems like a long time between colour-switches - have
you noticed any different circumstances this year? - particularly
I suspect algal/bacterial action in my own case altering the
water chemistry in the affected tray - or any noticeable stress
from irregular water, light, temperature etc.?

There certainly seems to be a phenomenon of sorts here, and not
only in cultivation. Any thoughts since last time Fernando?

Happy growing,

Peter