Re: Re: Re: What is a carnivorous plant?

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Fri, 23 Jun 95 17:51 EDT

> From: lcochran@MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU(Liane Cochran-Stafira)
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> A number of the algal groups resort to heterotrophic means of acquiring
> carbon when grown under reduced light. Some resort to feeding on bacteria,
> while others can capture small protozoans. Some even just absorb dissolved
> nutrients. The example you cite is the first reference I've heard of that
> lists algae as consumers of animal matter, although there are some examples
> of algae as parasites in animals. I haven't seen this Discover article and
> would really like to read it. Do you remember which issue it was in?

Hello Liane,

No I don't know the iss, but I've been looking for it since I
wrote the letter knowing that someone would want to read it also.
I will continue the search over the weekend (more time). I found
an articule in Jan 95' about a fossilized kill of some marine birds
appearently they had died of eating poisonned fish from a bloom.
The researchers from the carnivorous bloom stressed that the algae
are very specialized for killing and eating not a by-product reaction
of course this their veiw, although after reading it I was convinced.

Dave Evans