Re: Water and Watering

Richard Marsden (marsden@andreas.wr.usgs.gov)
Wed, 21 Jun 1995 09:25:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 20 Jun 1995, Peter Cole wrote:

> The problem with drinking water filters is that they use salt
> to soften the water - hardly ideal for plants! However, carbon
> filters are available which are suitable. I use a Britax
etc

Thanks. So I should look out for a carbon filter purifier. Durham is
quite soft, but Leeds (with exactly the same geology) is quite hard
(Yorkshire Water artificially harden the water!).

> If you're considering joining the ICPS, there's an article in
> the latest newsletter about a chap in Dallas who's building
> something very similar, with a few extra bells and whistles -
> weather sensors, modem port (I kid ye not!) etc. - the plans
> would probably be of interest to you.
Where/when/what? :-)
It is probably a good idea to join a Soc. when I return to England. I
belive there is one in the UK, which sounds good (with seed
swapping,etc). I'll probably go for this. ICPS=International?? I can't
afford to join lots of Socs. (I'm already a member of a number of
astronomy and geology Socs!) Is it possible to get hold of the newsletter
with the article - or even a copy of the article? Who do I contact?

> Marstons - good quality, but a bit pricey, and they haven't got
> as large a selection as they used to... still, it is a splendid
> place to visit (especially when the Sarracenia are in bloom!)
> You may find the seller/grow list in the archive of interest
> for addresses and prices.
Not knowing typicial prices for non-CP, I thought their plant prices were
expensive. Seeds were *much* more affordable! I've just grabbed the
archives, although I haven't had time to read them yet.

Cheers,

Richard