Re: Evolution of CP(Sarra)

LCCSB St._Francis (b3fra002@freenet.niagara.com)
Wed, 7 Jun 1995 21:39:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 7 Jun 1995, dave evans wrote:

> From: Robert Beer <bbeer@U.WASHINGTON.EDU>
>
> > backwards. All Sarracenia(s) are equally hardy as far as withstanding
> > cold weather goes.
>
> Hmmm...how cold are we talking about here? S. purpurea grows in some
> locations in Iowa, where it can get up to 105 degrees in the summer, and
> they deal with it. But S. minor and flava are not likely to take the
> kind of winters that one finds in Canada and N. Minnesota

I live in southern Ontario, about 40 minutes from niagara falls. I've
grown S. flava outside for about 10 years now with no problems. I've
also wintered minor, jonesii and dionaea quite successfully. For those
who care, the climate zone here is 6a. The coldest temps my Sarrs have
been subject to is -23C whatever that is in Farfignugens (degrees F).

> and Sarracenias are killed off if they get frozen.
The worst enemy of Sarr wintering is freeze/thaw. My flavas had more
damage this winter than any other one I've experienced. We had an
incredibly mild winter, average Nov temp 7C, and most of december,
january, and february had temps above freezing during the day.
Intermixed we had some very cold snaps, often lows between -10 and
-18C. The sarrs faired less well than if they were frozen and snow
covered all winter.

I know a grower who grows all ssps of rubra outside in Michigan, colder
than here, zone 5. No problem! Another friend grows all species
of Sarrs outdoors in Washington DC.

These plants are alot hardier than people give them credit for.

Sincerely, Carl J. Mazur
b3fra002@freenet.niagara.com

Persistence prevails when all else fails