Re: Sarracenias & Water

dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Mon, 05 Jun 95 17:27 EDT

> From: TracieW502@AOL.COM
>
> Anyway,, we just had a torrential rain here in GA where I live as a storm
> system passed over.. S. purpurea was outside, and the traps filled and over
> filled with rain water. I noticed at this time (well, took a closer look
> actually) that the way that the traps are positioned and the size of the
> opening, it appears that the plant is actually designed to catch rain
> water... Look at yours if you have one...
>
> Just a thought... Anyone care to comment..?
>
> Tracie

I think this might have something to do with why S purpurea is so
successful, meaning that it's the least likely to extinct. Because
it catches way more rain than any others would this not allow it to
survive dry spells better and drier conditions? I have seen purps
living in NJ Pine Barrens pretty far from the water's edge even beyond
the sphagnum. Its strange but all the purps and psitts I see in
the wild are covered by shrubbery while flava and leucophylla 'stand'
on their own.

Dave Evans