Re: Nepenthes

Pekka Ala-Siuru (pal@tko.vtt.fi)
Mon, 29 May 1995 08:58:02 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 26 May 1995, Steven Klitzing wrote:

> Hi Yassir:
>
> I've found that Nepenthes really love humidity and moisture.
> When they lack humidity, the traps tend to dry up and go brown, and the new traps don't form. I don't know why insects are not attracted to them as well as Drosera and VFTs. Perhaps the Drosera are much more alluring with sweet sticky glue.
> I think Nepenthes tend to trap crawling stuff,

NO, for my experiences: last summer I had a _Nepenthes ventrata_ outdoors
whole the short (3 month) Finnish summer. It caught to its pitchers over
50 different kind of flying stuff, most of sugarhungry wasps. I have now
placed that guy outdoors again, let's see how many wasps it get this
summer :) (20-22 C now outside)

..Pekka

while the others tend to trap flying stuff. I like to add a little water to
> the pitchers as they age, and I use an eyedropper to do this. It keeps the older pitchers greener longer. The more you feed them, the better the quality and size of the other newer
> pitchers.

> Steve (SF Bay Area, fog in morning, 70-80 in afternoon)

Pekka Ala-Siuru
Senior Analyst, Embedded Knowledge-Based Systems
VTT Electronics, P.O.Box 1100, FIN-90571, Oulu,Finland
Tel. +358 81 551 2461, Telefax +358 81 551 2320
http://www.ele.vtt.fi/