Sarracenia discord

Barry Meyers-Rice (barry@as.arizona.edu)
Fri, 26 May 1995 12:56:28 -0700

**********************

>Well - not to start an argument, the people who responded to my comment
>have plenty of experience between them, but I have a few years of
>experience too. IMHO high heat, low water, and low humidity are a
>_bad_ combination for Sarrs.

So let me see how the battle is shaping up. Brett in Australia and I in
Arizona (why does that usage of the 1st-person singular pronoun sound so
odd?) have no problem with heat and low humidity, while Florida Tom
disapproves.

Meanwhile, it is reported that Safer's Soap is toxic on Sarracenia, but
can be used safely on Sarracenia.

What's going on here, the confused ask...

This reminds me of something I learned long ago. And that is that while other
growers might have certain methods, you must experiment on your own! What I
do in my greenhouse may be toxic for someone else. Clearly there are more
variables here than we know.

***********************

>On Fri, 26 May 1995, Carl Strohmenger (HSC) wrote:

>> Anytime that one plant of a species is having a non-trivial problem that
>> is not affecting others of the same species, I suspect that a rhizome
>> borer may be at work. You can remove the plant from the growing mix and

Ah, wise Carl S has a good point. Carl M, is there a correlation between
wilting plants and the amount of time they've been in your collection? Last
year I received some plants from a person who grows them in his yard, and who
lives in the natural range of Sarracenia. These plants came with some very
undesired pests---Exyra!

BAMR