Re: more TC questions

Heiko Rischer (hrischer@rs1.rz.uni-hohenheim.de)
Thu, 18 May 1995 14:05:45 +0200 (MESZ)

On Wed, 17 May 1995 eheick@acs.bu.edu wrote:

> Along the lines of what Fritz was asking about....
>
> I tried several times to sterilize D. cistiflora, however, it seems
> that it is EXTREMELY sensitive to Sodium hypochlorite. I sterilized
> leaves for 5 min. in a 5% solution as well as a 2 1/2% solution.
> Everytime the leaves just turn brown. Is there a better way?
>
> Can you also tell me what Na2EDTA does for the plant? Is it necessary
> for a Knudson C based medium?
>
> Christoph

Hallo Christoph,
If you have a flowering plant try the method I wrote Fritz.
Another possibility is a solution of HgCl2 (poisonous !) - I cannot
remember the right concentration at the moment.

Na-EDTA keeps the iron-ions in solution (forming a chelat-complex) -
available for the Plant. Otherwise they would precipitate with the PO3 2-/
HPO3 -.

Greetings
Heiko