Re: Ant symbiosis and CP

Charlotte Vandaveer (vandavee@chuma.cas.usf.edu)
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 22:52:31 -0500 (EST)

The Nepenthes probably gains protection. I have 2 spp. of Tillandsia, a
Hydnophytum, and a Myrmecodia, all have symbiotic relationships with
ants. No other insect is able to get established on these plants. When
all my other plants have mealybugs or scale, these 4 are clean because
the ants remove any pests immediately. Interestingly, even though these
4 spp. are far from their native habitats, Florida native ants have moved
in and filled the role in the relationship.
Happy trapping,
Chelsie