octopus _Drosera_ ID

Jan Schlauer (zxmsl01@student.uni-tuebingen.de)
Fri, 3 Mar 1995 11:38:12 +0100

Hi Lenny (?) & Walter,

>(...)The packaging
>is really generic and lists it only as an "Octopus" plant, also referred
>to as a "Sundews" Drosera species. Might you know the real name of this
>plant so I can better find info in the mailing list postings that are
>immediately relevant to me. Any hep would be much appreciated.

If it is a member of the genus (BTW, Walter: the plural of "genus" is
"genera", like in Latin - ist doch ganz einfach, oder?) _Drosera_, it
should have gland tipped tentacles on the leaves. If now the
tentacle-bearing portion of the leaves is > 4 times longer than wide and if
the leaves have a distinct flattened (tentacle-less) petiole (=stalk),
chances are very good that you have _Drosera capensis_, a species from S
Africa which is rather widespread in cultivaion.

Walter, in your list you have forgotten the (trop. W AF, monotypic,
Dioncophyllaceae) part-time carnivore:

Latin German English

_Triphyophyllum_ "Dreigestaltblatt" 8-S "Triple-shaped Leaf(-plant)" 8-Z,

Polypom*p*holyx "Vielblasner" 8-) "Manybladder(-wort)"
is generally included in _Utricularia_ nowadays.

Kind regards
Jan