re: RHS colour chart

martin zevenbergen (Martin.Zevenbergen@ALGEM.PT.WAU.NL)
Fri, 03 Feb 1995 10:46:29 +0100 (CET)

>On Wed, 1 Feb 1995, martin zevenbergen wrote:
>
>> The RHS colour chart is published by the Royal Horticultural Society in
>> London in association with the Flower Council of Holland. and I think you
can
>> get it at the RHS, but I don't have an adress of them (perhaps somebody
>>from
>> the UK can give?).
>> You can also get it at the Flower Council of Holland, the adress is:
>>
>> Flower Council of Holland
>> Schipholweg 1
>> 2316 XB Leiden
>> The Netherlands
>>
>> Good luck, Martin Zevenbergen
>>
>Sorry, but what is a RHS colour chart?
>
>Joe

I'm sorry I didn't quote the question I answered, but a few days ago somebody
was asking where to get the colour chart.
Now, what is the colour chart?
It is a pattern-card consisting of 3 'fans' with all kinds of colours.
It is used to standardize the description of colours. So, instead of just
saying that a flower is purple (very subjective) you can look for the
most resembling colour in the colour chart, and conclude that the most
resembling colour is (for example) purple-violet no. 06.
It's common used to describe cultivars, so it can be useful when you want to
describe a colour, because it's well known all over the world, so you can
communicate about colours without being subjective. (at least, if the other
person has the colour chart).
The chart is not only made to describe the colour of flowers, but it also
includes a lot of different foliage colours, so abberations in foliage colour
couldn't be a problem. A problem is that colour of flowers and (even
more) foliage, depends not only on the genotype, but also on the environment,
especially light intensity (and low night temperatures?).

All the best, Martin

Martin.Zevenbergen@algem.pt.wau.nl