Re: Dormancy Help

Kristin L. Mott (klmott@planetx.bloomu.edu)
Sun, 29 Jan 1995 14:41:31 +0500

John,

you wrote:

>Another question for everyone. My D. filiformis var. tracyi has broken
>its dormancy cycle. It has only been dormant for about 2 months. I read
>in Pietropaolo's book that it should be dormant for 4 to 5 months. Will
>this shortened dormancy hurt the plant? Is it possible to put it back
>into dormancy? I kept it in a darkened room, but this year didn't
>refridgerate it like I had in the past. I nearly lost it from drying out
>in the fridge once so I thought I'd try something different. I also plan

I would not try to get your plant to go dormant again. It may just depart
this world and go off to CP heaven...... You know, where there is nothing
but endless swamps:) You should just let it grow at this point. I have
never had problems with starting the US hibernacula forming species early.
In fact, I start several of each species under lights towards the end of
January, just so I can look at them. They grow just as well as the ones
started later.

In the future, you might want to store the hibernacula wrappped in moist
spaghnum and placed in a plastic bag. I store hundreds of them that way,
and have no problems.

Take a few leaf cuttings just in case something does happen to the
original plant. Simply remove a whole leaf and lay it in a tray of
live spaghnum. Then sit back and wait for nature to do the rest.

Hope this helps!

-Tom- Hayes (& Krissy)