D. adelae, stressed plants, etc.

Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 23:19:58 -0500 (EST)

Walter Greenwood wrote concerning the planting medium
for D. adelae:

Similarly, Chris Waldrop wrote:

> ... D. adelae, prolifera, and schizandra do best with higher
> humidity and lower light levels in either pure or long fiber sphagnum.

I never bothered to consult my references about the growing medium
for D. adelae. Ooops. :)

Walter Greenwood then adds:

> As for the surprise, the fact that one is making babies does not
> neccesarily mean one is happy. Plants often flower in response to
> stress, for example, presumably as a last-ditch effort to secure the
> survival of their genes. Perhaps your trayful of little suckers is
> the plant's way of saying "HELP!". After only a week, are they really
> big enough to ID positively?

Yes, I think the ID of the young plants is unmistakable now. Regarding
the "last-ditch" effort of stressed plants, I've heard of orchids putting
out blooms under such circumstances. I've never heard of plants growing
lots of roots and sprouting up little plantlets from the roots in response
to stress. I truly believe that the sprouting of new D. adelae plants
is a sign that my plants are happy enough to grow extensive root systems.

Both Walter and Chris write:

> (Walter)
> Perry. Thanks again for the narrative about your trip. Next time,
> take me with you!

> (Chris)
> P.S. I really enjoyed your write-up of your trip. I don't grow any
> nepenthes (because of space rather than taste) but seeing them in the
> wild must be an extraordinary experience.

You are both immensely welcome! I'm happy you enjoyed the write up.
Hey, I'd go again in a minute if I had the money, the job security,
and the time. If anyone is contemplating a trip and needs an
"experienced guide", I'd be happy to tag along for the small fee
of airfare, accomodations, meals, etc. :)

Perry