Re: Beginner Questions

Trisha Coene (tcoene@CSOS.ORST.EDU)
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 10:44:47 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 18 Jan 1995, Ron Miller wrote:

> Since I am planning on growing several species that like a lot of sun, it
> seems that flourescent light will not be able to provide enough for the
> plants. As a result, I am planning on buying some HID lights. I am currently
> leaning towards buying a 175 Watt full-spectrum metal halide light.
>
> Is 175 Watts enough power for a very small setup? I realize that it is not
> much more money to buy a slightly higher power setup, but I am concerned
> about electricity usage (more for environmental reasons than actual cost),
> and I don't want to buy a more powerful setup than I need.
> Would I be better off buying a high pressure sodium setup? It seems that
> sodium lighting is more efficient, although metal halide has a more natural
> spectrum. As a result, I was leaning towards the metal halide setup (I also
> don't like the orange glow of the sodium lights).
>
> Ron
Hi Ron,
I can answer all of your questions on lighting, so I will. I have a 45
gal. tall terrarium and have found that 2 36" long wide spectrum grow
fluorescents suffice for orchids and CPs (I grow them together). As far
as my CPs go, I have a Venus, trumpet pitcher and Cephalotus.
If you want to go with a metal halide, 175 watt will be plenty. They burn
quite hot (unlike fluorescents), so don't keep the tops of the plants too
close to the bulb. MH lamps are higher in blue light which is great for
blooming, but they are not as efficient as high pressure sodium and do
not last as long. They also make an annoying hum, which is definitely
something to think about if the terrarium is located in a central area.
HPS lamps are pretty quiet.I hope I've answered your questions. Oh, and
welcome to the group; I'm fairly new myself. :> Trish.