NEP+LIGHT+HUMIDITY

Pekka Ala-Siuru (pal@tko.vtt.fi)
Fri, 20 Jan 1995 11:09:17 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 19 Jan 1995, Oliver T Massey CFS wrote:

> > > My next victim will be a N.rafflesiana. I am simply waiting for
> > > one of my plants to get get big enough for a cutting.
> >

> > I have been growing N.rafflesiana in a low humidity environment
> > (house hold levels) and it doesn't like at all. It does produce
> > pitchers but these are small and short lived. It has been growing
> > quickly as far I can tell,
> however.
> > It's a heathly plant but the low humidity just knocks the pitchers
> > off.

Dave, how's the light conditions here?

> > Dave Evans
> >

> I am impressed with the growers who manage all kinds of Nepenthes in
> home environments. I can't imagine how you succeed in homes with
> central heat and air.
>
> Even here in Florida where the humidity is often 100%, I have several
> Nepenthes that simply do not like open air environments. They produce
> new healthy leaves but simply don't pitcher. In fact, if I have a
> plant that is not pitchering I invariably put it in a terrarium setup
> under lights, which has always turned the plant around.

Hey, look what you write! ... setup under lights...
Is that the answer to pitchering?
Proper light conditions before humidity.

..Pekka
Pekka Ala-Siuru
Senior Analyst, Embedded Knowledge-Based Systems
VTT Electronics, P.O.Box 1100, FIN-90571, Oulu,Finland
Tel. +358 81 551 2461, Telefax +358 81 551 2320