Re: TC but on another note

Heiko Rischer (hrischer@rs1.rz.uni-hohenheim.de)
Thu, 12 Jan 1995 18:18:00 +0100 (MEZ)

On Wed, 11 Jan 1995, Andreas Wistuba wrote:

> Not to my knowledge. Anther culture even in species where protocols
> already exist is regarded as one of the most difficult tissue culture
> operations one could try. Best to my knowledge (but as I ve only read
> about this subject I might be wrong) you would need a highly controlled
> environment hard to achieve in a non-pro lab.

As far as I know Anther culture is almost standard in many crop plants
in the meantime (e.g. it is done here in the labs of the university,
plant breeding), but most of these species are monocotyl and therefor we
cannot translate all informations unreserved to dicotyl plants (i.e.
most cps). Nevertheless its even there an empiric process working
out a protocoll that works for a single species (or even genotype).

Another point is the highly controlled environment mentioned above.
In many cases the anthers must be treated with cold prior and after
explanting on agar (i.e. liquid medium usually used).
Further you have to harvest the anthers (or pollen)at a special stage
of the development (pollenmitosis) otherwise they will never grow on
the medium. Its rather complicated to catch this moment and gain
appreciable yield (i.e. growing plants ).
-> you need a lot of working hands and laboratory space.

Yours
Heiko